Wednesday, October 31, 2018

I finally saw the new Halloween


I just watched Halloween for the first time, finally. No, not the Rob Zombie one, the one with Jamie Les Curtis. No, not the 1978 movie, the new one (2018 for those of you in the future). So my first question is... why the fuck is this movie called Halloween? Not Halloween II because that I title belongs to two separate movies. What the fuck is the proper title to call this movie? And they’re making a sequel, so what are they going to call that one? Halloween III - Ignore II through Resurrection and the Rob Zombie films? These movies have a timeline fuckup worse than the X-Men movies. That being said, I decided to prepare for this movie by watching Part 1, and only part 1. The new Halloween, the movie released in 2018 by Blumhouse films, is the best Halloween I’ve seen since the original.

I’ve always had an obsession with horror movies. I’ve especially held a high regard for those movies that have generated a franchise. Hellraiser (1 through 4. Fuck the rest.). Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Child’s Play, etc. Halloween is the very first of the popular horror franchises that I saw from the beginning. 

I remember watching it late one night when I was, like, 13. I had no idea what the story was about. When the first kill was by a ten-year-old boy, it caught my attention. Since then, I followed the movie series religiously. Laurie turned out to be Michael’s sister. She died in a car wreck and left a daughter behind. That daughter died and left behind a baby, while we learned Michael is controlled by a cult. Laurie faked her death, had another child, and decapitates Michael. She killed the wrong man, Michael kills again, and Busta Rhymes kills the franchise. Rob Zombie does whatever the fuck he wants, and the new Halloween is born. 

Opening credits started the same as the original, with a slight alteration. The tone of the film, the story, the kill sequences, all of it gave the movie an overall feel that matched the original better than I ever thought it could. Good job, Blumhouse. Once again, you have done a good job. Thank you for finally fixing Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment